Sunday, October 08, 2006

Robot Fish

I'm a hunter of things. I like looking, and hoping, and finding's good too. But mainly I like the looking and hoping. It's just the kind of person I am.

I'm wondering about my childhood, why did I become a hopeful seeker of treasure? Wouldn't it have been better to be an enjoyer of treasures found? Or a muser on past treasures loved? I don't know.

I can only think it might be to do with day-long Dungeons and Dragons sessions when I was 10. I was the clever thief, always first to search the monster's backpack hoping for a broadsword +3 or a potion of invisibility (6 sips.)

Now I'm going to hunt mushrooms. Steve was surprised that Border's had a book called, 'Mushroom Hunting.' I wanted a mushroom hunting book with recipes. I hunted the vegetable bookshelf, then 'Mushroom Hunting' was found and bought. It was perfect. Of course I enjoyed looking for it more than the finding it, and buying it, and reading it. The anticipation on the walk to Borders... Ooh..!

I really wanted to catch fish. Imagine that. Sitting beside a river all day long, waiting for a fish to bite. Waiting and wondering, would I catch one, what sort of fish would it be? Would I catch an old boot - just like they do in cartoons?

I'd love to fish. But I can't. I'm a vegetarian.

I know you can throw the fish back, but I'd worry that the hook would hurt the fishes mouth.

I wish someone would invent robot fish for vegetarians to catch. So I could sit by a river with a magnet on the end of my fishing rod, and there could be big robot fish in the river, programmed to be wily and smart, a challenge to catch. And robot fish tiddlers too - some of which could play the Nokia ring tone when you catch them. Or even a blast of Crazy Frog? And there'd be robot old boots too, to make it an authentic fishing experience. Just like on Tom and Jerry.

Best of all, if you ever caught the biggest, baddest, smartest robot fish, you could open a little metal door on it's side.... And inside you would find..? Oooh...

A plate of delicious fried cod and chips! Linda McCartney cod and chips, of course.

Or a little door that leads to a walk to Borders, to buy a book about mushroom hunting...

Or a Broadsword +3?

Or a potion of anticipation - 6 sips... That you swallow to enjoy looking and hoping, that leads you to find the treasure of more looking and hoping... And then you find the best treasure yet, even more looking and hoping...

Ok, enough dreaming. Got to go. It's conker season!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard that there won't be as many conkers as usual this year and that those that do appear will be a lot smaller than usual. Its all due to some tree disease or something. Let us know if this turns out to be the case.

Dom

12:51 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Hi Dom,

There are loads and loads of conkers this year. I'd say there are more than I've ever seen before. I suspect this could be because kids aren't into conkering like they were in 'my day'. They're probably too busy playing those new fangled computer game console thingies.

It's ok by me though - and Amy's happy to come conkering with me. I let her play her Nintendo DS while I collect the brown shiny nuts. I found 21 conkers yesterday! Amy's Nintendog learned to backflip...

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

are the conkers smaller than usual though?

Here's a link to the conker crisis story (I'm sorry it's in the Mail. I don't read the Mail honest!)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=407722&in_page_id=1770

Dom

PS Why do people call computer game consoles new fangled? They've been around for decades now

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home