Thursday, September 28, 2006

Multi-purpose, Multi-Cultural

Tayba called around a few days ago, she was carrying a plastic plate, covered with another plastic plate.

"We're fasting," she said. Then she uncovered the plate to reveal a selection of bhajis and other golden indian snacks. "My Mum cooked these for you," she said.

I took the plate. I felt really touched. Tayba's Mum had never said a word to me before, and now she was giving us homemade indian treats. I told Tayba to thank her.

Well, what I really said was, "Tell your Mum that's really, really, really, really, really, really, really nice of her. Only you can leave out some of the 'really's if you like."

Tayba smiled, like the gift was no big deal, and then she went home. She left me to feel guilty that Social Services were now investigating her family because I'd heard some child having a tantrum.

The snacks were great. Really, really, really, really, really great... As we ate them Amy piped up, "Tayba's Mum has won prizes for her cooking."

I know Tayba's family is Muslim, and Diwali is a Hindu festival, but on the 'multi-cultural Tooting' theme, here are Tooting Bec's Diwali street lights. I photographed these this morning. I like that these decorations are multi-purpose as they're always left up for Christmas.

Tooting Bec Christmas lights have Hindu lamps and nothing special to do with Jesus. I don't mind. Christmas doesn't have much to do with Jesus for most English people, does it?



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home