Thursday, October 12, 2006

A dress

I own the prettiest party dress. It cost £140, I've never spent that kind of money on a dress before. I've worn it three times, but although it's just as good as new, I'll never wear it again.

The dress has been at the bottom of my laundry basket since December. I'm not sure what to do with it. It probably needs cleaning, but what's the point in paying for dry cleaning if I'm never going to wear it again? Yesterday Steve suggested we burn the dress, and my best pair of shoes too. He said we could do it on the barbecue.

I don't think the dress has done anything wrong. I do believe in magic, but I don't believe that dress is cursed. Or the shoes. I know I shouldn't just keep the dress in the bottom of my laundry basket, but burning it doesn't feel right.

Steve said he'd take it away, get rid of it. I didn't want that either. And I don't understand why not. It just feels like something I should do myself. Only I'm stuck, I don't seem able to find a plan for this myself.

Steve once said something funny to me, about a feeling that, 'The cavalry are on the way.' That phrase came into my head today. And an image of men on horses, waving flags and swords, and charging. That idea made me smile.

I have an appointment on the 24th. It's something I should have done months and months ago. It's an appointment with the right sort of people, who are used to helping with the kind of problem you wouldn't want to blog about, or ring help lines about because they have the initial of this in the name. But when you finally do, you find instant hope and reassurance.

And it feels like the cavalry might be about to charge, with flags and swords waving boldly, and maybe they'll attack the laundry basket and deal with the party dress? Or better yet someone kindly could get down off a horse, and patiently explain how I can deal better with dresses, and other things too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home