Sunday, August 27, 2006

Tooting Special-Day

It was a special day in Tooting today. A few days ago a leaflet came through the door to proclaim that August 26th and 27th were 'Discover Tooting Days.' I'd noted that there were going to be 10% discounts in local restarants, and free samples to taste in the Indian sweet shop. I put the leaflet in the recycling bin, and decided to go with a friend to the FunQuay floating beach at Canary wharf. This promised Punch and Judy, funfair rides, live music and a floating pontoon in the Thames, holding 30 tonnes of sand. I wondered if the sand might fall through the head hole? Then realised I was thinking 'poncho'.

So we set off for Tooting Bec tube station, and on the way I saw balloons tied to every lamp-post. When I looked over the road there was Bart Simpson - he was sitting at a table, and he waved at us. A little further down the road there was a man hanging upside down, he was playing a guitar.

Canary Wharf's FunQuay was good. The sand was so clean it didn't seem real, no shells, no pebbles. The kids enjoyed their fair rides and their organic chocolate buttons. But I couldn't help prefering Tooting Bec's Special-day, where you could 'Discover Tooting' with Bart Simpson sitting at a desk, an upside-down man singing, and jolly balloons wherever you looked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home