Thursday, July 20, 2006

Get well soon card, Tooting Bec platform poster

I wrote Steve a long email about the sun on Oxford Street on Wednesday morning. Only really it was about changes. I had one of those 'in a film' moments on Wednesday on the way to work. Oxford Street looked like it should be in a movie, the sun was low and bright, the street glowing like a golden Hollywood version of London. I felt like I should be in a film too. Only it wouldn't be any kind of interesting film, I've nothing exciting to report, things are merely chugging along; this is a month of many changes, but only small ones, mainly stressful ones too. The biggest change was that I've coped so well with all of that, and in this surprised myself. I felt happy the other day. The sunny Wednesday morning on Oxford Street felt like a turning point in my life. Even though it was obviously just a Wednesday morning where the sun was low and bright. And that was it, it really was. Yet enjoying this low-key moment of midweek happiness felt strange, felt like a very big deal.

I'd like to claim this as an Act 1 turning point, but as I turned 37 last week, the chances are it was the end of Act 2. Maybe Act 3 will be my happy ending?

I blogged about an accident on the tube. On Tuesday a poster appeared at Tooting Bec station. A woman had fallen under a train. The poster said, 'Did anyone see the accident' It said the woman had been 'seriously injured'. Do you know how relieved I was to read those words?

We mark significant events with cards, don't we? Birthdays, Weddings, Christenings, National Nettle Week, that sort of thing. It's my brother's 'English version' of his Wedding Reception this Tuesday, his actual wedding was in France a year ago, but many members of our family couldn't make it for this, so this is their second chance to celebrate. I'm looking forward to it, even though I have to go to Yorkshire for a week, even though I have to go to this without showing off my wonderful boyfriend.

Amy made a card for Tash, our au pair, because she's leaving on Saturday. I haven't found a new au pair yet, but I will... This is a big change, I won't find it easy living with someone new, but hopefully I'll find someone that I like. Amy claims she wants a 'boy au pair!'

And Steve is leaving for Vegas on Tuesday, it will be three weeks before we're together again. We've been a couple for 4 months now, and haven't gone a week without seeing each other as yet. I don't think there's been a day where we haven't both sent emails. Now I'm going to a Yorkshire village and I'll have no internet, and he's in Vegas with no time to himself, sharing a room with a boss who likes to find him endless tasks to do...

So the idea of this blog post was 'change' and the cards that I might send to do with this. 'Good Luck' to Tash the au pair? 'Bon Voyage' to Steve? 'Get Well Soon' to the woman injured at Tooting Bec? 'Happy Birthday' to me..? There's also thoughts of invitation cards for my recent 10 year college reunion. I must write about that, that was good. There's even 'Congratulations' with the potential of changes for me at work.

But you can't get cards celebrating, 'Happy Wednesday' can you? And that would be the best card for me... I want to celebrate the fact that I can be there, on an average day, and feel as good as that. That was special. I doubt it will happen in quite the same way again, but if you can't buy a card for it, does that mean it can happen any, or every, day? If so, Happy Tomorrow to me...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home