Friday, July 14, 2006

Pink and yellow cake, Tooting Bec platform poster


My birthday was good. The meal was yummy. Steve had some sort of beetroot tortilla thing. He pointed at the tortilla filling and smiled, but it was only later that I realised,'It was pink!' We have happy romantic magic things going on with pink food. This is all to do with the late night Streatham cake shop, where we once went after a giggle-inducing ice skating date. We ordered chocolate cake at the cake shop, but were given pink cake instead. And now Steve lives in Streatham and goes to the cake shop regularly because it serves good coffee. Yesterday I bought myself a new coffee maker, as a present to myself. I've talked about getting a coffee maker so much I was sure Steve would get me one as my birthday present, but that didn't happen.

I took my yellow sticker pen to Barcelona, but I was too busy to make a sticker with it. I lost the pen. But one of Steve's birthday presents to me was a new yellow pen. He was stressed about buying presents for me, just like I would be for him. And He got me a book about afternoon tea, a book about gardening, and some film about a talking rabbit, 'Harvey'. So he did just fine. As in, I don't care what he buys, and it means I don't have to buy him great presents in September! What a relief! I think his birthday is September? It might be October? He says he's told me 3 times already, so he's stopped reminding me.

I had birthday cake at the office yesterday, with a candle that played Happy Birthday to You' and my present from colleagues was the first series of Lost. That's good, Steve and I need things to watch together, we usually sit in front of the TV without much of a clue.

I like work things, and work people at the moment. There was an Office Poker League, and I only played 1 game and finished last in that. (I was exceptionally unlucky in a key hand in this only game I played!) I only got 1 point, and I expected to be bottom of the league, but I found out today I wasn't! Ellis only got 1 point too, and he was bottom! I like PokerStars, yes. Especially for the decision to use a non-alphabetical system when there's a tie in league placings in the office league. 17th feels so much better than 18th.

I used my new yellow pen yesterday, and draw a pink and yellow birthday cake. It was a couple of days after my birthday, but the day I stuck it was the day I got my birthday cake at work. I think this is proof that stickers are magic. It was a good day yesterday, for no special reason. Just things feel like they're on the up, a Waitrose muffin for breakfast, a coffee-maker present to myself, an excellent article by Steve to make him feel better about work-things, a sunny-yellow present pen to draw a pink cake sticker that reminded me of fun things, and especially the usual emails from Steve that make me smile and love him more. I wrote to him about expecting to love him less by now, but I don't. I suppose it's changed a bit, but it hasn't got any less intense, I just know him and like him more, and being his girlfriend only seems to get better and better.

I imagined Steve going pink as he read this email all about 'the L word' - as pink as the icing on that cake I drew. Pink doesn't suit his ginger hair at all. He emailed me back to say he was working late at the Gutshot card club, and the lights were low so no one would see that he was blushing.

We decided we should try to go away for a weekend together after his WSOP Vegas trip. Nothing fancy or ambitious, just a Saturday and Sunday - one night away together should be possible, even with his long work hours and my Amy responsibilities. We went to Whitstable together last Easter. It rained. We had a great time. And as I type this 'Singing in the Rain' is playing on my Ipod. A silly song that Steve sent me once to cheer me up when I was down. Rain is Steve's favourite weather. I still don't get that. I like sun best. But I love that he likes rain. I love him even more than pink cake and bright yellow sunshine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home