Saturday, June 17, 2006

Sunshine & Balloons - to be stuck in Barcelona (too busy to stick)

I haven't updated for a bit, have I? What's been going on, hmm? Well Amy has the worst case of chicken pox you could imagine. You know I once made spotty animals for the Tooting Bec tube poster? I did this for a whole month, and I kept having to replace the spotty animals. Well, imagine all the spots from those animals (only don't use the green and blue ones) then multiply all these spots by... hmm, about 1000. Then picture my pretty 6 year old covered with all these spots and saying, 'I'm itchy' and, 'Ouch, ouch, ouch' every 5 minutes. That's chicken pox at number 22B in sunny Tooting Bec.

I wondered how I could really leave her when she's like this? I have to go to Barcelona on Monday to blog about a poker tournament. Her Dad will be there too, he works for the TV company filming it. So my Mum is all set to look after Amy. But Amy was so ill yesterday, and my Mum isn't young, and is of a nervous disposition, I wasn't at all sure she could cope with 24 hour sessions of 'Ow, Ow, Ow' babysitting. I considered that the spots dramatically appeared in one day, so maybe they'd disappear just as fast? Well, it's a theory. Amy tells me hourly, 'I hate chicken pox'. I hate this poxy virus too. I hate it because I'll be too far away to see those spots fade and her smile again.

Today was a bit better, she hasn't said, 'I'm itchy!' once. Instead she just lies on the sofa not saying anything at all, neither smiling nor frowning. And even though she's still ill, I'm gratefully thinking, 'This is an easy to look after kind of ill.' It's still going to be hard to leave her...

I've been worrying too much about working in Barcelona. This has to be a professional blogging job, no mistakes, no silliness. To calm the nerves I've done plenty of preparation - this has effected my blogging output here. Yes, I've 'only' written 3 posts in 'draft mode', long ones I wish I'd finished, they're all about 3 stickers I stuck. From now on I've decided I want each post to be based around a sticker I stick. And I want to make stuff up too! I like the idea of writing fiction not fact. I may even do fictional blogging in Barcelona, if I can't count a poker player's chips properly, instead of saying 'a lot' I'll claim it's 25,007.

I doubt I'll post again until I'm back from Barcelona. Even then, I wonder, will I post as much as I'd like to? Will I ever finish those 'draft mode' posts? One important reason for the lack of recent updates is Steve. Lots of evenings where I might have blogged before, I've spent with him. He must be the best boyfriend in the world! I've missed him so much lately, he's been in Paris writing about the World Poker Tour. I'll see him for tonight, just one evening together, before I go to Barcelona. Then we have a few weeks as a couple, and then he goes to the WSOP for 2 and a half weeks. That's going to feel like the longest two and half weeks ever.

Imagine all the chicken pox spots on Amy's back - any colour you like this time - now times that by several million and six. You should now have a big number. And that's how much out of 10 I'm going to miss him.

Times that number again by another million or two, and that gives you how many points ahead of the competition I am, in the contest for romantic blog soppiness. I know, I just can't help it.

I hope I'll write lots more when I get back from this 'professional bloggers' job. You can read my witterings at www.pokerstarsblog.com, but I don't really want you to. I think it might be rubbish. I'll just be talking about poker and transcribing dull chip counts, I'm not sure that's my thing. But I am going to try my best, and I hope that I'll enjoy it. It should be good. So why am I so scared? I should listen to the best boyfriend in the world when he tells me not to worry so much.

And of course I'll be keeping to my new blogging rules and I'll be stickering in Spain. See post title.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home