Sunday, July 30, 2006

Blackcurrant Jelly, Clapham South platform poster


Amy has invented a country, a magical land of skateboarders that can only be reached by rocket ship, speed boat or jet plane. There are no secret doors leading to this magical place, I know this because I asked. Amy looked at me like I was dense and said, "You have to get there by rocket, speed boat or jet plane."

The name of Amy's country is, 'The Magic of the Power'. She's spent a lot of time thinking about this place. She's designed the flag, made the castle from Whitby sand, drawn pictures of the town and the King and Queen, she's told me many stories and facts about this place where, 'Young people can't turn into things, only the grown ups.'

I invented Wobbletopia. I had to. Amy made me. I was trying to read a book when pressed to draw something, so I drew a blackcurrant jelly on a plate, and this became the Wobbletopia flag. I then had to draw the people of my land, and drew more blackcurrant jelly's on plates. Little did I know that I would soon have to invent a Wobbletopian national anthem - and sing this to Amy and Mum.

It was ok for my Mum, because when she was Amy's age she'd invented Barovania. I doubt my Mum has thought about Barovania for 60 years, but she remembered her flag, the King and Queen's names, and many other details of her imaginary medieval-esque land.

The Wobbletopian's seem like a dull bunch to me, they just pick blackcurrants, make some jelly and live in jelly houses which they love to eat. They say 'wobble' an awful lot, and have a funny accent. Amy loves this place, and wants to chat about it all day long. She likes to compare 'facts' about Wobbletopia and The Magic Of The Power. She can't get enough of the Wobbletopian's grunty language, she likes that my name is Jode, and her Gran becomes Grud. All this is fine by me, I can draw a blackcurrant jelly in less than 10 seconds, and make 'Wobble wobble wobble Grud' conversation without needing to look up from my Sunday paper.

Amy asked me if I went to The Magic Of The Power what I'd turn into? She thought I'd choose Beast Boy, who's my favourite character from Teen Titans. We often play Teen Titans, or Supergirl, or Pokemon. She though I might pick Pikachu, I have to be Pikachu whenever we play Pokemon games. Instead I told her I'd like to turn into a wobbly blackcurrant jelly on a plate.

Wobble wobble wobble blug raders.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home