Thursday, August 31, 2006

Jelly Bean Man, Tottenham Court Road


I used to collect cacti when I was 9 or 10. I'm not sure why. Although I still like cacti, and I stole one from my last rented house. I decided the landlord couldn't prosecute me, you see I had a plan. I know a lot about cacti. And if my ex-landlord tried to hold back my deposit or get the police involved, claiming, 'There's a missing cactus.' I would simply say. 'I did my best, but the poor plant had a fatal mealy bug infestation.'

They'd never know that the cactus is still in fine health and sits on my kitchen window sill. I could even make it sound more plausible by discussing the merits of methylated spirits dabs or spraying with soapy water. My Mammillaria were my pride and joy, and when they got the bug and died I cried.

I looked around Borders magazine section yesterday, I was feeling a little bit sad, I thought Steve was meeting me for lunch but then he couldn't. He likes Rolling Stone magazine so I decided to buy him that, and buy myself a magazine too. Only I felt like an oddball and a freak, because I couldn't find a magazine on any of the racks that I wanted to read. I have no obvious hobbies or interests, I didn't feel like reading about football, or poker, or music, or knitting. Unfortunately they didn't have a magazine section called 'oddballs and freaks'.

I stuck a jelly bean man sticker on a Platform for Art poster today, so I suppose I have my stickering hobby. But I couldn't see any Stickerers magazines.

I've been thinking today, and realised I do actually have some hobbies and interests. I am a collecter still. Not Stamps, or Dolls Houses, or anything you can buy magazines for at Borders. But I now have 3 collections.

Two of these collections are work related, it helps to keep me interested.

I collect funny emails from players, I don't have any great plan for what to do with these, but sometimes I look and laugh. One day I might even compose these into sections like, 'Vagueness', 'A bit foreign' or 'Overcomplicated ways to say something simple.'

I've also recently started collecting the photos of people who write in to say 'Can I change my picture, someone told me I look ugly.' We get lots of emails like this each day. I'm saving these player's photos and then I'm going to make all these ugly people pictures into a montage to put on my living room wall. The funny thing is that most of these people aren't even ugly. Thee'll be a nice little section of the montage of men with beards. There'll be many ugly babies too. Actually most of the babies really are ugly.

The last collection you may think is strange. I've been thinking about this plan for quite a while, but it's only since I got my new phone that I've begun my new hobby. I take photos of pavement sick.

I'm very pleased with the ones I've found so far. The first was bright red, and next to a tree in Clapham. The second was spilling out of a bucket outside the Plaza shopping center. I can't wait to find some more!

I'm going to put these on a new blog, called 'Art Is Sick' Or maybe that doesn't quite work? artisick? May need to think of a new name. Anyway, that's supposed to sound like 'Artistic' because the blog will be my collection of pavement sick pictures, discussing my theory that public spew can be a form of artistic expression.

I'll put these pictures up, each with a little summary of their artistic worth to the world.

So you see, I do have hobbies.

And even though I didn't think I 'fitted' because I couldn't find a magazine to suit, I bought one that looked interesting anyway. I liked that it fitted nicely in my handbag, and that it wasn't glossy with adverts, and that it was first published in 1733. And I really liked the name, because I like London. It was 'The London Magazine.' On the tube home yesterday I read it's poetry and short stories, and a very interesting review of the Kandinsky exhibition.

I know it sounds a bit pretentious, but I really enjoyed it.

So now I've found a magazine I like, and know I'm not an oddball and a freak . I feel like a normal person, who sometimes likes drawing jellybean people to stick on tube station posters, and who constantly keeps her eyes peeled for pavement sick to photo for a website.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home