Monday, May 08, 2006

Random thoughts on moving and moths...

This is what blogs are all about, taking a moment to have a sit down and share a thought or two about my busy day. I'm taking a break from packing all my possessions into boxes (well mostly bin bags) and I think I should make a nice cup of tea (I make bad tea, I'll have a lager) and perhaps enjoy a biscuit..? (Crisps better.)

Amy crept into my bed at 6am this morning and woke me up with a question, 'Are you a moth or a butterfly today?' It was a strange question. I felt like I must have been asleep for the start of the conversation, and then I wondered if she read my blog? I said 'moth' of course, but even as I said it I felt strangely 'butterfly'. She can put me in butterfly mood with such whimsy at the start of a new day.

I have to get rid of two fridge-freezers before I move to my new place on Wednesday. It's not easy to find a home for slightly shabby working-order fridge freezers. In the end I rang the council, and it was quick and easy for the 'refuge services department' to lose them. They said they'll take them away in the morning for free. I like to think they'll be useful and someone will need them, perhaps the council keep a list of poor people who need shabby but serviceable fridge freezers? I think I might be kidding myself, it's like when you take an elderly unwanted pet to the RSPCA, telling yourself he'll find a nice new home... My fridge freezers will probably have 10 days in a concrete pen, then it's humane euthanasia.

Something sad and strange happened today, but perhaps I was too busy to let it effect me? I was on my way to Balham, to buy a bed at the Balham Bed Center, and as I waited for a tube at Tooting Bec station I saw a man replacing the platform posters. I hoped he was just replacing one poster, or maybe a few. It was an unusual time of the month to change posters. He looked happy in his work, he was a grey haired old chap, carrying a brush and a large bag. I saw him approach my poster, and he stopped and looked at it and it's 5 spotty animal stickers for a minute. Then he took hold of one poster edge and slowly ripped the poster from the wall. I saw him rip off the chunk containing my poor upside-down monkey. It hurt to see that, but just for a moment, and then I felt ok. I wish I wasn't so busy right now so I could replace the animals sooner.

I bought a mattress from the Bed Centre, I'll get the bed frame later. At Balham tube station I stuck a large 'lift the flap' sticker. I was very happy with this. Perhaps I would have been more upset about my animal sticker's loss if I hadn't had this lift-the-flap rubbish sticker in my bag?

Then I discovered a magic stationery shop at Tooting Bec. I've been to this shop twice before, and each time I go I'm amazed by the place. The shopkeeper was standing outside as I approached and held the door open for me. He discussed my bubblewrap needs in a joky, helpful way. I took his advice and went for the smaller bubblewrap packs at £4.50 for 12 feet. But he could see that I was worried that this wouldn't be enough. 'I'd feel awful if you had to come back for more,' he said. I'd bought two but he gave me a third pack for nothing. He asked where I was moving to, and I explained, and told him how much I liked Tooting Bec. He smiled and said, 'Tooting Bec is great! It's beautiful here!' I could see that he understood Tooting Bec magic too. I'll go back to his shop. You would hardly notice this shop if you passed by, it's so dull on the outside, the faded sign almost indecipherable, and the clocks and calculators in the window look like they've been there for decades... But inside the place sells everything you need, and the cheerful shopkeeper lives to make people happy. Every time I go there I decide that it's my favourite shop in the whole wide world, but oddly then I soon forget it again. What strange magic.

I had a productive day, I did the things I needed to, I packed most of my things, and I also took my landlady's cactus to my new house. I'm stealing this cactus because it's special. It looks wonderful on my new kitchen windowsill. I think it's going to like it there.

I'm at work tomorrow, so it's important that I packed today. Tomorrow night I don't want to come home to pack, as after work there's a PokerStars '3 World Champions' media event. Most of my office friends will be going and enjoying the chance to play with World Series of Poker champions, Moneymaker, Raymer and Hachem. I'm looking forward to the evening a lot, and excited by the prospect of meeting these poker stars... Or perhaps I'm excited because Steve will be there? I really want to meet the 6th place finisher in the European Series of Poker Pot Limit Hold'em £150 Hold'em event!

Ok, back to packing. If I do it all now it means I can stay in bed late Wednesday morning...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why are people so excited about playing twenty quid freezeouts with these blokes? I don't get it. Really.

Dom

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home