Saturday, May 06, 2006

Disabled pigeons & too many houses


I always notice deformed pigeons. A surprising number of London pigeons are lacking in toes, in extreme cases even feet. I can't seem to stop myself checking out the feet of each and every pigeon that I pass. I know it's an unhealthy and depressing obsession, but sometimes I think the pigeons might notice my footwards glance and know someone cares. Usually the birds are hopping around just fine with only half a foot, but sometimes I see a poor pigeon that's limping badly and wish there was something I could do to help.

I've thought about setting up a charity. I'd probably call it something simple like 'the Disabled Pigeons Society'. I understand the Queen owns racing pigeons, perhaps if I asked her she might lend her support? If so I could call it 'The Royal Society for the Protection of Pigeons Feet.'

I don't really know how to help the pigeons with poorly feet, but if I had money from a charity I would visit a vet and ask. I could also spend money on research, like finding out if there's any point making prosthetic pigeon limbs? Send me some money and I'm sure I'll decide how to spend it. Maybe I could even feed the one-legged pigeons something nutritious? Or spend the money researching healthy and tasty stuff for pigeons to eat in these circumstances.

While I was considering ideas for fundraising ventures I was struck by the idea that I have two houses at the moment. I'm only actually using one of them, until my undecided moving date sometime next week. I always look at pigeons that I pass in the street, yet I regularly look away from homeless people. Right now I have the chance to offer a home to someone in need, and considered whether I should do this? I decided, 'no'. I might need my new home as a venue for a 'Pigeon Aid' charity fundraising concert. I wonder whether the Queen would attend, and does Bob Geldof like pigeons?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home